The Girl

The Girl

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Forty Days of Diabetes - Day 24

Those 3 Little Words


They roll of my tongue, unbidden. When she walks down the stairs rubbing sleep from her eyes, running out the door to catch the school bus, as I tuck her in and kiss her goodnight.

"Did you check?" 

Because my first thought every morning and my last thought every night is if she's in range. How early do I need to correct and bolus for breakfast? Is she safe to go to sleep? Does she need to snack? 

But I'm trying really hard to get back to what those 3 little words used to be.  "I love you." Because I don't want diabetes to define her. I want to focus on her. How her day was, what she wants for breakfast, plans for the weekend, converse about what she's excited about. I want her to be Caitlin, a sassy, strong, sarcastic little lady who loves One Direction, her Bff's, Starbucks Frappucccino's, and, who just happens to have Type 1 Diabetes. 






No comments:

Post a Comment