The Girl

The Girl

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Forty Days of Diabetes - Day 12

Can I.........


Can I go to the school dance? Can I go rollerskating with Riley? Can I join the cross country team? Can Caitlin sleep over? Can we take Caitlin to the beach? 

Innocent requests. Three years ago yes would have easily slipped off my tongue.  Now it takes a little more effort. What does she need to bring with her? Will she be safe? How much information do I give the parents or friends or coaches that she's with? How old is her pump site? Does it have enough insulin in it? 

The first few times were especially difficult.  I dreaded the moment she'd hand me that little unmistakable envelope. An invitation to a party. I asked myself early on, "if she didn't have diabetes, would I say yes?". I've lived by those words ever since. It's not always easy or stress free but I will not let diabetes rob her of the joy of being a child. Every outing comes with a little extra planning, a little extra baggage. But in the end she has diabetes but I will not let diabetes have her.  






No comments:

Post a Comment