The Girl

The Girl

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Forty Days of Diabetes - Day 16

My Superhero doesn't wear a cape..


...she wears an insulin pump. I'm reminded of that on a daily basis. When she's battling highs or lows, changing infusion sites, managing her supplies, strategizing how to plan for an outing or bolus for a meal. Making decisions, very adult decision, about her care.

I sometimes forget what a burden this must be. She makes it appear effortless. Until it isn't. When I pick her up from school with an extreme high blood sugar. When I check her at 5am and I have to rouse her from a sound sleep to eat. When we're exhausted and ready for bed and her pump site falls out. There are times when she falls apart and it breaks my heart. Sometimes it's just too much. Too much for all of us. And I have to remain strong and be her rock. But these times are few and far between. She picks herself up, brushes herself off, and moves on. Because sometimes you don't know how strong you are, until being strong is the only option you have.



No comments:

Post a Comment